Rhode island hookup
The site was already a tobacco trading post when the inspection house was built.Warehouses, wharves, and other buildings were then constructed around the inspection house, and it quickly became a small community.
In 1632, English fur trader Henry Fleet documented a Native American village of the Nacotchtank people called Tohoga on the site of present-day Georgetown and established trade there.The Sentinel was first published in 1796 by Green, English & Co. Fulton began publishing the Potomac Advocate, which was started by Thomas Turner. Of these taverns, only the City Tavern remains today, as a private social club (the City Tavern Club) located near the corner of Wisconsin Avenue and M Street.Other newspapers in Georgetown included the Georgetown Courier and the Federal Republican. Magruder, the first postmaster, was appointed on February 16, 1790, and in 1795, a custom house was established on Water Street. George Washington frequented Georgetown, including Suter's Tavern where he worked out many deals to acquire land for the new Federal City.A separate act passed in 1895 specifically repealed Georgetown's remaining local ordinances and renamed Georgetown's streets to conform with those in the City of Washington.The primary commercial corridors of Georgetown are the intersection of Wisconsin Avenue and M Street, which contain high-end shops, bars, restaurants, and the Georgetown Park enclosed shopping mall, as well as the Washington Harbour waterfront restaurants at K Street, between 30th and 31st Streets.Georgetown is home to the main campus of Georgetown University and numerous other landmarks, such as the Volta Bureau and the Old Stone House, the oldest unchanged building in Washington.
The embassies of Cameroon, France, Kosovo, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Mongolia, Sweden, Thailand, Ukraine and Venezuela are located in Georgetown.
As well, salt was imported from Europe, and sugar and molasses were imported from the West Indies. Abert led efforts to dredge the channels and remove rocks around the Georgetown harbor, though these were temporary solutions and Congress showed little interest in the issue.
The municipal governments of Georgetown and the City of Washington were formally revoked by Congress effective June 1, 1871, at which point its governmental powers were vested within the District of Columbia. An 1890 flood and expansion of the railroads brought destitution to the C&O Canal, and Georgetown's waterfront became more industrialized, with narrow alleys, warehouses, and apartment dwellings which lacked plumbing or electricity.
Georgetown is a historic neighborhood and a commercial and entertainment district located in northwest Washington, D. Founded in 1751 in the Province of Maryland, the port of Georgetown predated the establishment of the federal district and the City of Washington by 40 years.
Georgetown remained a separate municipality until 1871, when the United States Congress created a new consolidated government for the whole District of Columbia.
It did not take long before Georgetown grew into a thriving port, facilitating trade and shipments of goods from colonial Maryland.